Thursday, October 18, 2012

Third time's a charm?

When we moved from Oklahoma we had mixed feelings about just how to move cross country, literally... Like how to actually move our stuff.  Do we take it or do we sell it?  A lot of our furniture we have had since we were first married.  And truthfully, after 12 years we were ready to be done with most of it.  So, we seriously thought about selling it all and starting over.  But, then reality set in. While on one hand the thought of starting from scratch was very appealing- it was also very terrifying for a cheapskate like me!  So, we ended up doing a little of both.  We sold some stuff, donated some stuff, left some stuff, brought some stuff.  As was the case with our dining tables and chairs.  In a moving truck they take up an incredible amount of space so we compromised and only brought one.  However, that left us lacking in the new house.  After a few weeks of looking and a couple failed attempts- this is what I decided on.        

I say "failed attempts" because this is the third table I brought home.  The first was too small, the second too rectangular and while I wish I could say this one was just right... really all I thought when I first saw it was that it was too ugly!  
 I went back and forth on this set for about a week.  I kept thinking about the chairs and loved the base of the table.  I thought about just buying the set for the chairs and chucking the rest... but being as cheap as I am I knew that was never a real possibility.  I just kept hoping- with a little color perhaps it would be workable!
The table came with 2 leaves which when added turn it in to quite a hefty table!
Here you can see what the table looks like in process and with the 2 leaves in it.

Yet again I failed to get photos of me spending hours upon hours sanding this puppy.  Above you can see the primer stage- which I am feeling a little "meh" about. I say that because I ended up slightly distressing the set and primer always gets in the way of a clean bare wood distressing.  But, it's not too bad.  Initially I was not going to distress it at all so I wanted the most even finish possible, hence the sanding and priming... but then I changed my mind.  Could have saved myself loads of hassle and time- oh well... 


It always amazes me what a little distressing can do for detail and character...
Here is the table all finished with no leaves extending it.
I still love the base!








1 comment:

  1. This looks even better in person! Can't wait to see what you do to the dresser..

    ReplyDelete